Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summertime Dinner: Tonight July 23rd

Today I shopped at an open air market: Park City Farmer's Market (my first time!) and met a wild mushroom vendor: Robert Angelily. This affable vendor speaks Italian! He must have enjoyed speaking with us, because there was a line forming in back and he didn't rush. Customers behind us were wishing to come to our house for dinner! Robert gave me some garlic scapes to add to the wild mushrooms: hen-of-the-wood. They are a group of dingy white polyspore mushrooms, sort of spongy looking or what the inside of a brain might look like, and they're delicious. I sautéed them with olive oil, a pat of butter, fresh garlic, hot pepper, a smattering of salt, and garlic scapes. When they were done, I tossed in some Pinot Grigio and let the alcohol burn off.

Since I don't have a snapshot of them, here's a link for all you mushroom lovers: http://theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/octfd.htm

Robert sells porcini in season and he had morels and little yellowish-orange chanterelles that I purchased also to make a frittata with tomorrow, or rather later on today.

My brother and sister-in-law are visiting from Florida, so we stopped by to buy fresh Dover sole fillets from The Market on Snow Creek for just $5.99 a lb. I bought 1 & 1/2 lbs and marinated them with one squeezed lime, a splash of white wine and some salty grasslike seaweed (Robert gave me!) Sorry I don't remember the name, but will find out next week when I go market shopping again. Next I added a few pats of butter and sprinkled with grated bread crumb--unseasoned, salt pepper and a tablespoon of grated Parmigiano Reggiano and a little paprika. I cooked the fillets on a medium high flame and then reduced and covered for maybe two minutes, or until the flesh was no longer of a transparency but solid milk white.

With the fish and the mushrooms, I made bruschetta from a lovely Pugliese Bread that we buy from Albertson's! Smeared with fresh garlic and olive oil and a little salt, this was a perfect accompaniment to the salad of mixed field greens, baby spinach leaves, 1/2 of a long English cucumber--that I took the tiny seeds out of, red onion, tomatoes and Gorgonzola cheese, salt, pepper, olive oil and my homemade Dom Perignon vinegar...thanks to Felipe!

I hope you enjoy vicarious, virtual eating! At least you won't gain weight!

No comments: