Saturday, February 21, 2009

Leftovers: Salmon stuffed mushrooms

Salmon Stuffed Mushrooms

The other day I made whole wild salmon in a rosé cream sauce with onions and had a small piece leftover--about 4 ounces with about 1/2 cup of the sauce. Last night I wondered what to do with it. I decided to stuff 10 medium mushroom caps, reserving the stems for soup. I minced the salmon in the sauce and plopped the mix by teaspoonfuls into the caps and baked for 20 minutes in a Pyrex dish with a small amount of white wine. Lip-smacking good!

Every light was off but a small lamp by the terrace door, the oven light, and an overhead stove light. What to do with 20 minutes? Write notes or a first draft of a poem! And here it is:

In storms,
when there's no electricity
I’ve felt my way
through rooms and halls
without a candle lit, a match struck,
or a flashlight in hand,
by touching walls, grasping chairs,
tripping over wires.
Have you ever played
the game Blind Man’s Bluff?
When I picture me
without you

it's like this.



No comments: