Saturday, August 18, 2007

How to Murder a Perfect Caprese Salad ...

Blog # 8
I was just preparing Insalata Caprese, when it dawned on me what most restaurants do wrong about serving this delectable platter (and I have to ask them to not do, when and if I order it, which is rare). Insalata Caprese was born on the Island of Capri, hence, Caprese … and it's a delightful summer salad. It is made of mozzarella di buffalo—yes, buffalo mozzarella and lots of fresh basil, salt, if desired, black course ground pepper, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

NEVER in Italy will you see this dish served with balsamic vinegar. I mean NEVER! Would you drink a glass of milk laced with vinegar or wine that has turned??? Of course not. Yet in so many restaurants in the States it is served with this wonderful vinegar, which ruins the dish! I say reserve the balsamic for where it should be used: in mixed green salads, in certain reductions with fresh tuna fish, etc.

Please tell me why, these nouveau chic cuisine chefs in US restaurants are trying to murder a sure close to perfect delicacy? Next thing you know, they'll probably pour it in yogurt (and kill the good bacteria in it!)

1 comment:

Jane Brownley said...

Caprese Salad is one of my favorite foods. I eat it frequently, especially when I have sweet, juicy, luscious tomatoes. Delighted to know that I have never "murdered" this delish dish.
Jane